Saturday 29 October 2016

An Explanation for Therapists' Burn-Out

I know I keep banging on about this book, "The Path of the Masters" by Julian Johnson but I have found it fascinating. So many of his ideas correspond with my own discoveries.

In the courses I run with my colleague Dzmitry Karpuk we pay great attention to the propensity for dedicated therapists to suffer from overload, secondary trauma impact and burn-out. Johnson's explanation is as follows, "It is a well-known law that if we do too much for people who have not themselves earned such favors, the giver must assume a part of the burden of the karma of the recipient. If you give a thousand dollars to anyone who has not earned it and who may misuse it, you yourself must be prepared to suffer the loss, not only of what you have foolishly given away but of the double amount in addition. Possibly you may suffer other penalties as well. Love must be given constructively."

Johnson believes that Christ died too soon because he did too many gratuitous healings and miracles and left his disciples only half trained to carry out his work.

No comments:

Post a Comment